Thursday, July 18, 2013

Unit 9 Final Project


It is important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually, and physically because we must practice what we preach.  We are more effective with our clients when we are able to speak from experience because it gives us more credibility and also better understanding.  We learn how we can live a more fulfilled, expansive life.  “We come to know that the alleviation of suffering and the ascent to human flourishing are more than ideas.” (Dacher, 2006).  This allows us to help others in the best way possible.  My spirituality is an area that I need to develop to achieve the goals I have for myself.

Spiritually I score my wellness at a 4.  I have lots of room for improvement in this area and this is definitely my weakness.  Physically I give myself a score of 9 because I exercise 6 days a week and eat healthy.  This is the easiest area for me by far.  Psychologically I rate myself at a 7-8 depending on the day.  I have made great improvements in this area but there is still some work that needs to be done.  “The path to integral health requires that we at least become aware of the sources of needless suffering, distress, and dissatisfaction and the possible sources of future development and flourishing.” (Dacher, 2006).

My current physical goal is to train for a half marathon at the end of September.  I have written my training miles on my calendar for my ten week training plan so that I know how many miles I need to run each day.  My psychological goal is to be able to handle stress better and calm my scattered brain.  My spiritual goal consists of devoting time each day to spiritual development.

In order to foster growth in my physical health I will complete all of my training runs and also do cross training several times a week.  To foster my psychological goals I will meditate for at least 15 minutes each morning and longer if I am able.  I will also practice yoga.  My spiritual goals will consist of listening to or reading Joel Osteen’s ministries at least 10 minutes a day and also keeping a gratitude journal.  I will keep track of my goals in my daily planner to hold myself accountable.  I will evaluate my success on a weekly basis so I know how I have done.  I like to evaluate my progress often so that if I need to modify any of my goals I can do it as needed. 

1 comment:

  1. Sue,
    All of your goals seem very achievable and your plans on accomplishing them sound good. I specifically like the gratitude journal you mention to help with your spiritual growth. I think this is a simple step anyone could use to foster their own spiritual growth. Good luck with your journey.

    Tamara

    ReplyDelete